Monday, March 31, 2008

College Road Trip: 20 Years Later

On my relatively short list of regrets, among them is this: not being a country singer. Had God gifted me with a singing voice of any quality, I know I would have made an excellent Nashville star. Or, at least, a competitive karaoke performer.

Instead, I have surrounded myself with very talented friends who are kind enough to let me tag along and experience the lifestyle of people who do have musical and theatrical skills. Today, I will share with you the tale of an ill-planned trip to Nashville, where country music careers were certain to take off for a group of 20something-year-old college students with a dream, a Chrysler LeBaron and a stack of sheet music.

Classical piano, covered. Superb vocals, covered. Stage presence, WAY covered. But nobody -- I mean, NOBODY -- in the LeBaron knew how to play a guitar. But we had a cassette recording of the music (whose origin I can't recall), so you know the quality was good. Don and David wrote the song, Joey sang, Lisa cracked jokes, and I practiced my publicity skills, as my job would be to write the press releases and teach the group how to handle the media as they skyrocketed to fame. Because at 20, I knew ALL about these things.

In honor of the 20th anniversary of this trip, here's your press release. Sort of. For the next couple of posts, I will share some interesting tidbits from our pilgrimage to Nashville.

We had but one song under our belt, but we figured that's all Garth Brooks (see photo) had at the beginning, too, and things were starting to work out fairly well for HIM. And our song was SO GOOD that it didn't need a Side B.

Ladies and gentlemen, as a timely nod to the looming April 15 tax deadline, I give you the lyrics to ...

"Another Bill To Pay"
(Verse 1)
The Nova needs a set of tires
my wallet needs a rest
by the time I think I'm just caught up
here comes the IRS
the TV set needs some tubes
and the Tide's about to play
but the mailman just made a drop
and it's another bill to pay...

(Chorus)
It's another bill to pay
another penny spent
by the time I get my paycheck
it has done come and went
the kids need shoes, the wife a stove
but that's for another day
'cause the mailman just made a drop
and it's another bill to pay

(Verse 2)
The preacher just passed the plate around
the house note just came due
it's time for a trip to the A&P
the coupons have all been used
the six-pack's now down to one
but it'll have to last the day
'cause the mailman just made a drop and it's another bill to pay

(Bridge)
You got your certified deposits
your IRAs and special savings accounts
but the only finances I know of
are the kind you write and bounce

(Chorus)
It's another bill to pay
another penny spent
by the time I get my paycheck
it has done come and went
the kids need shoes, the wife a stove,
but that's for another day
'cause the mailman just made a drop
and it's another bill to pay ...


I'm sure you can find more recollections and fond memories over at humor-blogs.com...