Friday, March 14, 2008

Enough of Spitzer; Oh, My Nose!; Jesus and Freaks (Friday Round-Up)

Let's just go ahead and get this out of the way ... New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer is not very smart. (I can't say any more than that. I'm tired of him and his cardboard wife standing at his side. "Where's MY $80,000?" I'd be asking. "What about ME? Do you know what I would have done with $80,000? Not this, buddy!")

Oh, my nose! Pass the meth, please ... Spring break is here, and so are the thousands of allergens that are invading my yard and home. I'll take warmer temperatures and sunnier skies ANY day, as long as I have my crystal meth, er, Advil Cold & Sinus. I just belly up to the bar in the pharmacy department, tell them I'll have the "regular," then sign my life away as my name is transcribed to an international database of potential meth users. And if you're an alert billboard reader, you will know that the anti-meth push is at fever-pitch. Too bad it's lost on the young people, like my 9-year-old, who thinks it's an ad to prevent chapped lips.

What would Jesus do? ... Well, probably not THIS. Members of the Westboro Baptist Church typically protest funerals of fallen soldiers. I'll not get into their theology or misguided political views here, but I do want to point out to those who may have been living under a rock this past week that members of this "church" protested the funeral of slain Auburn freshman Lauren Burk because of their hatred toward American colleges. Waiting for Westboro outside the synagogue in Marietta, Ga.: members of the Patriot Guard Riders. The PGR group is made up mostly of motorcycle enthusiasts, but the common denominator among its members is really very simple: They know how to do the decent thing. So they peacefully stand at memorials and funeral services, holding American flags, shielding the mourning family and friends from the disturbing sight of WBC protestors. (I believe Jesus would be on the PGR's side.) And here's the really cool part: Anyone can volunteer to be a Patriot Guard Rider. Check out www.patriotguard.org. You can even click on a link to find your state's leader. And when a memorial is held in your area, you, too, can do the decent thing. Way cool. And way decent.

Happy weekend ...