Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Peep Show

Warning: This post is everything that I don't like about blogging, all neatly rolled into one -- Mommyblog, craft how-to and "hey, look at my kids." So if you dislike all these things, too, just be patient...and know that I'm one of you.

This whole day smacks of that ridiculous thing my own mother did when I was little. When the weather was rainy or cold and I couldn't play outside, she would pull out The Rainy Day Box. Ugh. The name still makes my eyes roll. The box was filled with markers, paper, glue and other stuff that was supposed to inspire me to make something, stay busy and, as I know now, STAY OUT OF HER HAIR. One rainy morning, when I was about 4, I crawled out of bed and staggered into the kitchen and asked, "You're not going to make me play with The Rainy Day Box, are you?" And that was the end of The Rainy Day Box. I never saw it again.

It may not be raining, but it's a dreary spring break day. "Hey, kids! Stay out of my hair! Here are four shoe boxes, a crapload of art supplies and a gross of Peeps." And then I promptly left the room. For, like, HOURS. These pictures illustrate the results: A Peep Show.



Peeps Taking Leaps, a ballet studio




Cheropeep Indians, or to be PC, Native American Peeps


You Peep What You Sow, a Parable of Peep Gardening




Little Bo Peep Has Lost Her Peeps