Wednesday, April 02, 2008

On the Road Again (& Cooking With Amy)

I have deadlines for PAYING jobs, so I'll make this one quick.

(Editor's Note: This is a continuation of College Road Trip: 20 Years Later.) These photos were taken before digital photography. Before 35 mm was commonplace. And sometime after the Brownie. If you guessed the Kodak 110, you're a winner! What you are seeing are photos of the photos, but I assure you that this second-generation processing did not sacrifice the quality of the originals. Even Photoshop couldn't save these prints. I'm sorry I cannot provide special glasses for your viewing pleasure.

1. This is at a gas station on the Alabama-Tennessee line. My only regret with this picture is that I don't have an interior shot of the LeBaron to show you that the ceiling liner was held up by one lone seam, somewhere around the dome light. It was like riding in Ali Baba's tent.
2. This is a sign posted inside yet another truck stop. I thought $1.00 for a shower with your fuel purchase was a pretty good deal. The added security of the fuel clerk holding the key would put any trucker at ease.
3. On centerstage at the Ryman, where Patsy Cline would have stood. Lisa looks gorgeous. She and Don went on to marry and have two boys, despite those hideous jeans he's wearing (third from left).

And it being Wednesday, the day that I provide cooking tips and recipes, I am turning my thoughts to backyard barbecues. The reasons are twofold: 1) It's springtime in Alabama and pollen or no pollen, most cooking is done outdoors; and 2) The Nashville trip holds one especially warm and fuzzy memory that involved a backyard barbecue.
The bullet points:
* We learned the name and address of a music producer who lived somewhere near Franklin.
* We went to his house.
* He was having a barbecue in his backyard.
* Not knowing what else to do, he invited us to join him and his guests.
* We brought our cassette player.
* We played our song in the backyard while he pretended to listen.
* Don fell out of the aluminum lawn chair and spilled beans on his pants.
* The music producer didn't give us glowing reviews.
* The food was EXCELLENT.

I personally don't use our gas grill because it scares me, especially after the small fire of 2004, but I certainly appreciate the food that someone else cooks on my grill.

Gas Grill Safety Tips
(from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission)
Each year about 30 people are injured as a result of gas grill fires and explosions. (Don't I know it!) Many of these fires and explosions occur when consumers first use a grill that has been left idle for a period of time or just after refilling and reattaching the grill's gas container. (Or if they buy a cheap model from Big Lots for about $70.) To reduce the risk of fire or explosion, consumers should routinely perform the following safety checks:
* Check grill hoses for cracking, brittleness, holes and leaks. Make sure there are no sharp bends in the hose or tubing. (Someone should have told me about this.)
* Move gas hoses as far away as possible from hot surfaces and dripping hot grease. If you can't move the hoses, install a heat shield to protect them. (What's a heat shield?)
* Never use a grill indoors. Use the grill at least 10 feet away from your house or any building. Do not use the grill in a garage, breezeway, carport, porch or under a surface that can catch fire.
* Always follow the manufacturer's instructions that accompany the grill. (Our instruction booklet was written in Korean, which I began to speak fluently as I pulled charred steaks from the flames and the fire truck stopped in front of my house.)

Back to work ...

Read about other unfortunate events at humor-blogs.com.