Monday, May 19, 2008

You Should Probably Write Your Own Obituary

Well, she WAS resting in peace ... An alert reader pointed out the following obit published recently in our local newspaper. I will not add to this segment in any way, except for this: People, you might consider writing your own obituary. (I have removed all names. Because I'm classy that way.)

On February 14, 2008, I lost my twin sister, (name omitted), to complications from lung cancer and pneumonia. She was 66. For very sad reasons on my part, it has almost been impossible for me to let you know of her passing through this obituary, but I want you to know how much I will always, always love (name omitted) and will miss her for eternity. If one could choose a person to have in their life, from conception forward, they would choose someone like (name omitted). No one could exacerbate me like her - on the other hand, no one could make me laugh so much just by being herself. She was kind, feisty and loving and she danced to a different drummer than most of us. I wanted to include the attached picture to show (name omitted) the way I remember her. My life will never, ever be as bright again without her here on Earth, and Heaven will never be the same with her there. She and I used to say we hope we won't be bored in Heaven, just floating around and playing a harp, so I know God has allowed her to be a guardian angel to her precious little (name omitted). I know she is in Paradise because she had quite a lot of sadness here, but she was a Christian and knew Jesus to be her Lord and Savior and the Son of God. On the other hand, (name omitted) lived life to the fullest of her capacity. She did not marry well, but she was given two precious children she dearly loved - (names omitted), of Montgomery, Alabama and (names omitted) of Rockford, and they, in turn, gave (name omitted) her precious little granddaughter, whom she adored. Due to circumstances beyond her control and due to choices she made in life, (name omitted) was unable to be physically close to the family she made; however, she loved them without boundaries. (Name omitted) is the daughter of the late (name omitted), the sister of the late (name omitted) and the late (name omitted) and me, (name omitted), all of Birmingham She is also survived by nieces and nephews and sweet friends.