Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hey, How Did HE Get In Here?

While under the influence of LEGALLY PRESCRIBED narcotics to ease me through the blinding pain of a kidney stone and its always-hand-in-hand kidney infection, I treated myself to a little downloading session on iTunes while propped up at the kitchen table and wondering if this is really a good way to spend my last hours on this earth, biting bullets and spitting casings on the floor.

On the other hand, maybe it was my hopeful way of saying, "I'm going to get through this and perhaps one day go to a park and run, or maybe to the gym, and will reach for my iPod. And my reward, my PURPLE HEART, for enduring this, will be a new repertoire of Top 40 favorites." And then I went to bed for about a day and a half. Or maybe I went through my daily routine and actually got behind the wheel of a car. I don't really remember.

Today, as they say, is a new day. I am drug-free and relieved not to be staring at the wall and drooling. So I grabbed my iPod and settled in to work (after being granted much-needed and greatly appreciated deadline extensions) and pushed the "play" arrow. And this is what I heard:



The incomparable Barry White, singing "You're the First, the Last, My Everything."






My favorite Brothers Johnson song, "Stomp."


A wide variety of George Benson songs. You'd be surprised how many George Benson songs a person can download while under the influence. I know I was.





Luther Vandross crooning "The Power of Love."





More than one song by James Ingram.






And whisking me back to the early '80s, Mr. Jeffrey Osborne, performing "We're Going All the Way."



And then, way down at the bottom of my "recently added" playlist, is an inordinate number of songs by this white man...



(This photo replaces a previous selection, which garnered MUCH negative feedback and was deemed, by many, as distasteful. Seventies fashionwear was not MY fault; I just downloaded the photo. Still, I heard you LOUD AND CLEAR, removed the photo and replaced it with this tasteful Teen Beat shot, circa 1979.)