Friday, April 17, 2009

Duggar Tots, Networking and More Networking, the Tea Parties (Friday Roundup)

Smells like the Duggars 'Round Here ... I mean, it smells like the Duggars are cooking! After a long Easter Sunday, we sat on our screened porch with friends, discussing everything under the sun. And among the information we shared and delighted in was a recipe that apparently causes our friends to suffer such anticipation that they form a semi-circle around the oven, just waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting. They made it sound so enticing, in fact, that I demanded a list of ingredients right then and there: tater tots, ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup (you read correctly) and a can of evaporated milk.

Curiosity bubbled inside me like a can of cream of mushroom soup simmering at 350 degrees for a full hour. So I gave the recipe a try Thursday.

Some bloggers post photos of their food, but I don't think a photo would do this dish justice. In fact, it might be a real turn-off. What this casserole offers in terms of animal protein and cream soups, it sort of lacks in visual appeal.

From the dinner table:

"What is this?"

"Duggar Tots."

"What's a Duggar?"

"A family on TV."

"The midgets?"

"No, they're the people with 18 kids." Pause, awkward glances, more pause.

"This lacks ... color. It's sort of ... gray. Maybe next time you should add some vegetables, or some bell peppers."

Or just MAYBE I should leave it AS IS because everyone enjoyed a heaping helping -- some of them, even two heaping helpings. Go, Duggars and your innovative casserole recipes!

And more networking ... I may have pointed out earlier this week that networking can be such a drag. But so can empty pockets. Everyone around me is having to reinvent the way they do business, so here I am, networking away. Under the category of "shameless self-promotion," you'll find me on http://www.vulcanmediateam.com/ and on the blogroll of http://www.birminghambloggingacademy.com/. And I'll not complain about networking any more. At the risk of sounding like a Miss America contestant, this is sort of fun -- making new friends, exploring new opportunities, stepping off well-traveled paths and wandering onto new ones. God bless America. And now, for the talent portion, I will be twirling a baton of fire while playing the harmonica and clanging cymbals strapped to my knees ...

If I had attended the Chicago tea party Wednesday ... I would have dumped an entire kettle on Susan Roesgen's head. Even if I agreed with her political views, which she made so crystal clear, I would say her work on Wednesday is among the best examples of bad journalism a person could hope to see. If you don't know what I'm talking about, click here.

It reminds me of a morning a few weeks ago when I was watching The Today Show and Matt, Meredith and Ann were standing behind canvases and easels, and a nude model stood in the front of the art studio. One of my kids walked in and asked, "What in the world are you watching?"

"The news."

And then she laughed. Then I realized how stupid I sounded.

There's bad news all around us. We shouldn't have to put up with bad reporting, too. Yowsa.

Everybody's workin' for the weekend ... and here it is! Turn off the TV, make some new friends, and host your own tea party. Tots are optional.